Thursday, April 15, 2010

Faron Young




Faron Young died in December 1996, before I had a chance to see him perform live. I consider him one of the all time greats and am sorry he died feeling forgotten and unappreciated--it wasn’t until 2000 that he was inducted posthumously into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

This boldly-signed 1963 Mercury LP popped up on eBay a couple weeks ago and I won it for $17, which is about my upper limit for these things. Not only was I drawn to this item for the cover, I really wanted to hear Faron sing western music, which I thought would be a natural fit for his singing style--I wasn’t disappointed.

It was only after I won this record that I looked at the picture of the cover carefully and saw that the original owner had written his name in ballpoint pen just below the track listing (you can see it in the photo I posted along with the scan). Fortunately, Mercury records from this era have a thin coating of gloss over the entire cover so the ballpoint ink did not penetrate the actual paper and I was able to carefully remove it using Goof Off--this almost never works, but I got lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment