Friday, March 12, 2010

Wayne Newton



Two Sundays ago, I found this pristine two-dollar Wayne Newton album at the local record store. I mailed the cover to Wayne the following day and less than one week later, he returned it to me signed. Wayne has a reputation for being very willing to sign autographs, so I don't have any doubt that he signed this record himself--especially since his autograph looks exactly like all of the other Wayne Newton autographs I've seen. While I'm not a rabid Wayne Newton fan, I always enjoy hearing "Red Roses for a Blue Lady" and I love the simple, classic design of nearly all Capitol Records album covers from the 1960s.

2 comments:

  1. Curious (or have you gone over this?) when you mail a cover off to be signed, what do you say in your notes? Any more than a simple request?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this case, I hand-wrote a letter saying I enjoyed Wayne's music and that I was from Northern Virginia. I knew that Wayne was a member of the tribe of Patawomeck Indians, so I made a reference to that when I stated where I was from. I then simply asked him to sign the cover and return it to me using the enclosed self-addressed address label and return postage. I would never send out a cover without including a personal note, stamps for a return trip, and a return address label.

    ReplyDelete