Friday, April 30, 2010

Ramblin' Jack Elliott



Ramblin' Jack Elliott signed this 1960 Monitor record for me after a show he played at B.B. Kings Blues Club in 2006. He shared the bill with Peter Rowan, both playing separate sets. At one point Jack and Peter attempted to play a song together, but Jack's guitar was tuned to itself and was quite a bit off from standard tuning. Before Peter had a chance to re-tune to match Jack's guitar, Jack launched into a song. Since Peter was already standing there with his guitar in his hand, he had no choice but to try to play along by bending his strings into tune. This didn't work too well. Peter was obviously embarrassed, Jack was oblivious, and I was amused, finding the incident rather fitting for a Ramblin' Jack Elliott show.

After the performance, Jack came out from the back stage area and was immediately cornered by some guy who brought about 30 records for him to "look through" and sign if and when he "felt like signing something." After the guy ushered Jack to a table, Jack picked up the first record in the collection, an early and obscure EP from the 50s, and bitterly commented that he never received any money for it. Reluctantly, he signed a few of the guy's records--very sloppily--working his way through the stack, obviously feeling a little trapped. It was at this point that I introduced myself and asked if he wouldn't mind signing my record, "after all, I only brought one." I hated to butt in like that, but if I hadn't, I'm sure the guy in front of me would have occupied all of Jack's time until he had had enough of the guy's collection and got up and left. Jack did sign my cover--also very sloppily--noting afterward that he added a couple extra "T's" to his name "because you can never have too many." I don't think Jack intentionally added the extra T's, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

5 comments:

  1. Tuning guffaws aside, I bet that was a kick ass show. And, I just love the "ramblin'" signing experience. How did the greedy guy react to your polite interruption?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purposely didn't catch eye contact with that guy, so I don't really know! The show was decent, but Ramblin' Jack put on a better show at Blind Willie's in the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a horrible signature, almost as bad as Willie's signature on my "Good Times" record. Still, it's worth the experience and the story, for sure, and I appreciate your facing the other guy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any other tips on trying to meet Ramblin' Jack?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since he still tours, I would suggest trying to meet him after a show, just like I did. He only has one date listed on his website and it's Conroe, TX in June. As long as he stays healthy, I expect to see him continue touring.

    ReplyDelete